Search Sugar Bean Bakers

Monday, September 16, 2013

{Easy Caramel Buttercream}


Ohio is bipolar. I'm being serious here. I think Ohio has some major issues she needs to work out this year. This summer has been cool. As in, too-cold- to-get-in-the pool-except-for-maybe-6-times-cool.

Sure, it was an extraordinarily pleasant summer for me. I'm not a 90+ degree sweaty Betty kinda girl. Give me a nice 80 degrees with a breeze and I'm a happy, happy chica. Bean though? While not great in the heat himself (especially not our lovely Ohio 100000% humidity hot) being the coughy, wheezy, asthma man he is, LOVES to swim. Loves it. Loves, loves, loves it.

This summer though? Uh. No. Sorry. Swimming season is over, in JUNE. All of July, all of August, save for about 1 week were cool. The one week it WAS nice and hot, the kid? Yeah, got Swimmer's Ear and was not allowed in the water (even with earplugs) for 10 days.

Fast forward to September and mother of all that is good and mighty, it's suddenly 92 degrees again. Ok, what?? Our pool is closed for the season (I'm using the word "season" lightly this year) and it's holy hot. However, Thursday it was 92, Friday? 60. You're killing me, Ohio. For serious. Pick. A. Season. We don't even care which at this juncture... Just. Pick.

So, yeah.

Sorry, I have no segue for this conversation, so let's just move forward from here.

You know what's a beautiful thing?

Buttercream.

You know what's even better?

Caramel Buttercream.

For really.

There are a ton of Caramel Buttercream recipes out there that are complicated. Making the caramel to add and such. Sure, you can do that. They are delish, but... sometimes fast and easy is the way to go.

In that case, I gotcha covered. You're welcome.


Basic buttercream ingredients, plus one... caramel ice cream topping.

That's it. Easy. Tasty. The end.

Excellent, of course, on chocolate cake, but really lovely on spice and white cakes too.

Give 'er a try.


Now that it's cooled back down, I'm looking forward to cranking out some fall recipes (like the Pumpkin Bread I just posted. Of course, it was totally 90+ degrees that day, but DUDE, I NEEDED a pumpkin infusion STAT).

Next up? Something appley! YUS.

Til then,

Tina

P.S., see, I told you I wouldn't talk about Harry Potter in this post! Ha! Wait, what do you mean I just did?


If you haven’t already,  you can ‘like’ my Facebook page here, and follow me on twitter here, and you can follow me on instagram here.

Easy Caramel Buttercream
by Tina @ Sugar Bean Bakers

3/4 cup butter (softened)
1/4 cup shortening (I prefer Crisco)
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
pinch of salt
Milk*

Beat the butter and shortening until fluffy. Slowly add in the powdered sugar. Beat for about 3 minutes. Add in the salt and ice cream topping. Mix until distributed.

**you shouldn't need any milk with the liquid ice cream topping, but if you find the buttercream too thick, add milk 1 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency.

Drizzle extra caramel topping on top of cupcakes/cake if desired.

Easy Salted Caramel Buttercream variation
by Tina @ Sugar Bean Bakers

3/4 cup butter (softened)
1/4 cup shortening (I prefer Crisco)
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt (sea salt)
Milk

Follow instructions above




3 comments:

  1. Love the post, the "goofy" writer (my daughter) and the Bean!~ Keep up the good work Tina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Hawaii, so we basically have one season. Cool is 75 degrees. It's beautiful, but sometimes I really miss cooler weather. This frosting sounds great. Why do we always try to make things more complicated than to be?

    ReplyDelete

www.sugarbeanbakers.com

...because life should be sweet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...