Search Sugar Bean Bakers

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

{ Caramel Corn Deliciousness }


Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm………………..

Caramel Corn.

Right?

You know that’s right.



From fall through Christmas, caramel corn is one of my favorite treats.

It also makes great gifts. You can dress it up with nuts (if you are so inclined, which I am not) and drizzled chocolate too (I'm always so inclined to chocolate though).

Mmmm… If I do any of that this season, I’ll be sure to post it up.

Cause you wouldn’t want to miss that, would ya?

From the time I was young, my mom and I have made this caramel corn. She had a large roaster and we’d put 1/2 the corn in the bottom, and 1/2 in the top.

We’d spread the kitchen table in wax paper awaiting the finished product.

I could never resist taking a taste of it fresh out of the oven, still gooey.

And burn myself every time.

But not anymore. Because I’m a grown up and I know better.

*ahem*

Yeah.

This recipe is seriously easy. It just takes a little time to complete.

Here’s what you need:

Caramel Corn
1 cup butter
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
7-8 quarts popped corn

Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
CC2

Combine everything except the soda and popcorn in a pan, and heat over medium.

CC3

Bring to a boil

CC4

Boil for 5 minutes, then remove from heat. Add in the baking soda. 

I always enjoy how it fizzles up.

Stir well.

In greased baking pans (I use a roasting pan and 13x9 cake pan) pour mixture over the popped corn.

Now, many caramel corn purist will insist that you must use oil popped or air popped corn. I disagree. You CAN use microwaved popcorn. Normally, I would use a popper, but mine broke and I wasn’t buying a new one for this. Color me cheaps, but the Bean is currently a brace face, and shouldn’t be eating popcorn (which is his most favorite snack on God’s Green Earth), so, no new machine for us. I bought the 94% fat free microwave popcorn and popped it up. It was about 3.5 bags to get the right amount. Just try to pick out all the unpopped kernels first!

Worked splendiferously.
CC5

Now, slowly pour, stirring as you go.

Coat as evenly as possible.

Then, pop into oven. Stir every 15 minutes for one hour.

Turn out onto wax paper and let cool. If you have any large clumps, break when cooled and dry.

Store in airtight container or ziploc bags.

After that- the hard part begins.

You know, the part where you have to not eat your weight in it.

Good luck.

It’s not easy.

Trust me.

CC1


While I found this online by Paula Deen, this is the same recipe I’ve been using for as long as I can remember. 

My mom found it in one of those Church Cookbooks, you know the ones I mean. The ones where everyone sends in their favorite recipes.

No, I don’t remember who’s recipe it was, sorry. I’ll just say ‘thanks, Random Caramel Corn Lady, ‘preciate it’.


Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment

www.sugarbeanbakers.com

...because life should be sweet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...