Search Sugar Bean Bakers

Monday, October 29, 2012

{ Autumn Mix Popcorn }





My oven caught on fire.
Sadly, that's not the opening line to a joke. It actually caught fire. Well, not like flaming up, gotta call the fire department fire, but my element definitely had 3" flames coming off of it.

I was baking Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes for the Bean's girlfriend's dad. He likes to read my blog (Hi Roger!) and try to get her to make him some of the treats. I told them to pick something and I'd send it home with her one night. She chose the Cookie Dough Cupcakes. With nine minutes left in the bake time, yeah... flamage. 

Luckily, I was standing in the kitchen at the time and saw it happen.

Needless to say, I'm ovenless at the time. It's just the element, but it has to be ordered online. 

I'm going to need about a week's worth of stovetop/crockpot/toaster oven recipes.

This is the 2nd time in 6 years that this has happened. The first time didn't include flames, but an element blew out (and into pieces) a few years ago. I'm thinking i should forget the new element and just buy a new stove. This one is a menace. Sadly, that is not in the cards for me at this point in time.

Woe is me.
I think I'll survive though.

I needed a goody to take to Youth Group last night and baking was, clearly, out of the question.

I've done a couple popcorn mixes before. My Snowflake Crunch Popcorn & My Luck O' The Irish Pop and they are always a big hit. They are quick and easy to  make, and daggone tasty too.

I took 2 gallon sized bags last night and came back with zero kernels.

I think they liked it.




Baking isn't necessary for a delicious treat!

This would be excellent for Halloween parties, for Trick or Treaters (that you know!), and even sat out on Thanksgiving as a fun football game food!
 Now, I'm off to fix spaghetti, because, yes, no oven required for that!

Tina



Autumn Mix Popcorn

You'll need:

3 bags of popcorn
(a variety that is light on butter)
6 squares of Almond Bark*
Candy Coloring (optional)
Candy Corn Mix
Fall Colored M&Ms  
Assorted Fall Sprinkles
Oil
*you can also use colored candy melts
I know this is crazy, but I could NOT find the Autumn colored M&Ms at the store yesterday. So, I just picked the blue out & used the rest.



Pop 1 bag of popcorn. Allow to cool for a few minutes, then remove any un-popped kernels
Melt  2 squares of Almond Bark, 30 seconds at a time, in the microwave. Mine took about 1 1/2 minutes to fully melt. Add about 1 teaspoon of oil and stir until very well blended.

For my colors I did orange and black and left one bag just plain white.

You can color all, use different colors, or not color, leaving all the chocolate white.

With your bag of popcorn poured into a large bowl, drizzle with the chocolate. Allow a few minutes to cool,  sprinkle in 1/4 of the candy, then toss with your hands. Pour out onto foil/parchment to allow drying.

Repeat this process with the next two colors.

When you have all of it on the foil, sprinkle the remaining candy & any autumn sprinkles you wish.


After is it dry, mix all the colors together in a large bowl for serving.

Store in a tightly sealed container/ziploc bag. Stays fresh for about 2 days.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

www.sugarbeanbakers.com

...because life should be sweet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...