Search Sugar Bean Bakers

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

{Cupcakepalooza}

My friend, Lori, and I bake treats for the school staff at Christmas and at the end of the year. This year we decided to do the ever popular cupcake.

Sweet little cakes… handheld treats…so many, many different varietes.. and all are yummy to eat.

I just made that up. Right here, right now.

I know you are impressed.

Now… lemme be honest. These are all from boxes. 

Let’s see you make 10 dozen cupcakes from scratch.

Yeah, I thought so! 

The icings are from  scratch.

And really, you know that’s all that really counts!


I’ve posted my Cream Cheese Icing before. See the recipe here.

We used it on the Carrot and Red Velvet

RedVelvet Carrot

This is my buttercream:

1/2 cup shortening (crisco)

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened  

1 teaspoon vanilla (clear if you’ve got it to keep it whiter)

4 cups powdered sugar (approximately 1 lb.)

2 tablespoons milk

    Makes 3 Cups.

    We used it on the French Vanilla Coconut Cupcakes

    Coconut

    Lori actually made this icing. I think our recipes are pretty dead on alike though.

    I added cocoa to it to make chocolate buttercream for the mocha cupcakes.

    Mocha

    For the filling in the mocha cupcakes:

    Take about 1 cup of the chocolate buttercream and add approx. 3 tablespoons of strongly brewed coffee. 

    You may need to add a bit more powdered sugar.

    It’s not exactly a science.. just taste til nommy.

    Inject into the center w/ a cake tip.

    We also did what we dubbed “Hot Mess” cupcakes.

    They are supposed to be Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes.

    They didn’t want to cooperate. 

    If you ask me it’s probably because they are confused about being both pie and cupcake, but that’s a debate for the ages.

    Simply whip up some vanilla pudding, inject into the center, then dip in melted CANNED (gasp!) chocolate icing. You can make your own chocolate ganache. Here's the recipe I use for cakes. But seriously... why bother?? :D

    Boston

    Usually they look better then this.


    I know, I know, pics or it didn’t happen, eh?

    We also did a dozen of German Chocolate, but I forgotta take photos.

    I fail!

    Anyway.. there ya go. It was cupcakepalooza for sure! 

    Need I mention the powdered sugar napalm that always follows me making icing?? 

    It’s sad, but true! With a whisk and a dream… Tina (and Lori too)

    3 comments:

    1. Mmm...cupcakes! They look fabulous, Tina!

      ReplyDelete
    2. And Lori, too! You did a great job! Wish I could have been the official taste tester. ;-)

      ReplyDelete
    3. Fantastic! I would love to join a cupcakepalooza. But first, I've gotta complete my research of the different cupcakes and frostings. Thanks for sharing, I will definitely include this to my listing.

      ReplyDelete

    www.sugarbeanbakers.com

    ...because life should be sweet.

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...