Search Sugar Bean Bakers

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

{Ice Cream Cone Cake Balls- made easy}

Yeah, that’s a long title, but it’s accurate.


They are made from her basic Cake Ball recipe.

For these I used Devil’s Food Cake and Vanilla Icing.


I’ve made these several times now, and they are always a hit. However, they are also not the easiest things in the world to manage.

I think I’ve finally gotten it down to a science.

Ok, not really, but I’ve made it easier on myself.

I don’t use the sugar cones like she does. Feel free to go ahead and do so, my little tricks will still work. They might  be better because the cake cones tend to get soggy from the moisture of the cake ball. I’ve deemed them “decorative” to people who eat mine ;)

What I use, however, are medium sized colored cake cones.
IMG_5069

cups? cones? whatever. I’m still going with cone.

I put a little melted chocolate in the bottom to help stabilize them.

IMG_5060

Now, make sure you make your cake balls at least a few hours ahead and refrigerate them. I let mine set overnight.

Take the bottom end, and dip it in chocolate. (I forgot to take a photo)
Place this on your cone.

You can see the chocolate on the bottom of the ball here.

I scooped these with the large Pampered Chef cookie scoop. It’s a bit smaller than your standard ice cream scoop.

I purposely made them “messy” looking because we all know, ice cream dips aren’t neat and tidy.

IMG_5062
Let your chocolate harden. This should only take a few minutes.

I recommend putting about 1/2 of your cones back in the fridge so the cake doesn’t get too warm. The warmer it is, the harder it is to dip.

Once what you dipped on the bottom of the ball is dried to the cone, tip that whole puppy upside down and into the melted chocolate.

IMG_5063
It should stay on. I had one renegade that fell off, but out of 20, that’s not too bad.

Twist it around in the chocolate to help fully coat.

If you miss a few spots, just touch up with a spoon. Ice cream is messy looking, remember?

Add sprinkles!
IMG_5066

Then let harden.

That’s it, folks!

I always have issue with the colored candy melts, so I use regular chocolate bark and white (almond) chocolate bark.
How did you make them pink you say??

Well, I’m so glad you asked.

I buy these.
IMG_5068

Mine are, obviously, from Hobby Lobby, and clearly not cheap. However, it takes a teeeeeny amount, so you’ll have them for a long time.

(please ignore the mess I’ve made with them on the front of the box)

You cannot use regular food coloring to color chocolate.
I’ve packed some of these “ice cream cones” up for the Bean’s teachers as a thank you gift, today is his last day of school.

Cheap, cute, and… yeah, delish.
IMG_5067

So, there are my tips. Hope you find this useful.

And yes, you will STILL coat yourself in chocolate making these.

But really, is that a bad thing?

~Tina

6 comments:

  1. Snag the Hobby Lobby online 40% off coupon that "usually" applies to anything in the store (sometimes it is specific). Also, my Hobby Lobby lets me just show them the coupon on my smartphone - so no paper waste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allen said 2 things. 1-We should visit her for a month and 2-maybe that's why her cat is so fat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look awesome! I'd like to try making them sometime. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you do, be sure and take photos, Michelle.

    And yes, Margie, tell Allen the cat gets the lion's share ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you get the cones at Hobby Lobby? I NEED green ones. Your post gives me hope. :) Please email me if you can. ...brossettelewis @ gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

www.sugarbeanbakers.com

...because life should be sweet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...