Search Sugar Bean Bakers

Thursday, September 1, 2011

{Breakfast…is served}


Wanna bite?
Bfast4
You know you do.

How about a dose of Homemade Pancake Syrup and Mini Pancake Muffins?

I started making my own Pancake Syrup a couple years ago. Before you could buy it in the store without HFCS (or “corn sugar” as they are going to change the name to). Now, there is new research as to how it’s no worse than cane sugar… I have no idea. All I know is that I continued to make this because A. it’s WAY cheaper, and 2. I know exactly what is in it. No nasty preservatives and additives. 

Here’s the skinny.

Pardon the word. Since this is a 2 cuppa sugar recipe, I don’t think “skinny” comes into play here.

Pancake Syrup
2 cups of sugar
1 cup of water
splash vanilla if you so wish (I always so wish!)
1 teaspoon of Maple Flavoring (also known as Mapleine)

Bfast1


Heat over medium heat until boiling, stirring constantly, remove from heat.
Bfast2
Allow to cool. 

That’s it!

Remember, no preservatives, so store in the refrigerator! I don’t know how long it actually keeps, being just sugar and water, but I toss mine after about 7 days- not that it ever lasts 7 days.

It will thicken as it cools. It will be thinner than store bought syrup, but not horribly so.

And. it. is delicious!

So, what do you do with this loverly syrup besides pour on panckes?

 Bfast5

Make muffins!

This is a recipe from Bakerella. You can find her recipe here.

Preheat oven to 350.

Bakerella's Mini Pancake Muffins
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2/3 cup milk (she uses buttermilk)
1 egg
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (I use the pancake syrup we just made)
2 tablespoons melted butter (margarine works too)

She adds chocolate chips to hers (1/2 cup). Sometimes I do this.

Sometimes not. Today… not.

I’ve also added blueberries & mashed banana. You could add nuts.. but why would anyone want to do that???

Whisk all ingredients together.

She does all her dries in one bowl and all the wets in another.

I am lazy. And do not.
And don't want 2 dirty bowls...just sayin...

Grease a mini muffin pan. 

Fill ‘em up

Bfast3
Bake at 350 for 8-9 minutes.

I bake 2 batches on Sunday nights and the Bean eats them all week. I store mine in the fridge. I’m not sure you have to. I’m no expert though.

Serve them up on a plate with a bowl of syrup.
Bfast4
This also gets the kiddos to eat less syrup than with regular pancakes.

I don’t know about your house, but here, I often think I need to call the Pancake Coast Guard with all the syrup the cakes are swimming in.

Poor pancakes.

Printables? Why yes! Syrup  &  Bakerella’s Pancake Muffins

4 comments:

  1. LOVE this! Pancake muffins....cool beans!! i would def add choc chips and pecans :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know it was possible to make your own syrup!

    Amy @ A Little Nosh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of making your own syrup. I may just have to try this, but first I need to get some of that maple flavoring. Then I'll cross my fingers that my kids like -- remember, they can be a little weird when it comes to food. ;-)

    Thanks for sharing! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow~ What a fun fall activity for the kids! I think Alex and I will have to try this! Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Have a great week.

    Everyday Mom's Meals

    ReplyDelete

www.sugarbeanbakers.com

...because life should be sweet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...