Search Sugar Bean Bakers

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

{ Valentine's Day Boxes & Idea }


I know that it's barely January, but planning ahead is a good thing.

Isn't it?

I'm not sure, as I'm not entirely familiar with this concept.

Anyway, I thought I'd pop a couple ideas on here for you.

First is this poster board that I did for my dad last Father's Day. 

It would also make a great Valentine's Day project (or birthday, or Christmas, etc).

I apologize for the photo, it was taken with my phone and yes, the only photo I took of it.

I'm riding in the failboat.

I signed his with "The Three Musketeers" because there are only three of us, but some other ideas could be:

nerds (esp good if for teacher)
airhead (good for teacher, best friend, or if you are late getting the present)
Amazin' (kids, wife, etc)
Junior Mints would work if the card is from kids
Baby Ruth (ruth covered over- if for a spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend)

There are many other candies you can use, like Hugs & Kisses, Chunky (hope this doesn't make you chunky), etc. I used ones I knew my dad would eat. 

I've seen this idea before, and you probably have too, but reminders are good. I used some candies/sayings in mine that I'd never seen before as well.


Pin It


One of the hardest things to do when the Bean was in Elementary School was to come up with a Valentine's  Box idea. Urrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhh...............

It hurt my head.
Then I'd get grumpy.
Then I'd eat chocolate.
Then I'd be better.
Then I'd remember I still had no Valentine Box idea.
Then I'd repeat this process.

So, I'm uploading a photo of all of the Bean's boxes. I tried to find the original photos and could not, and in
an attempt to not go through the process I've listed above, I'm uploading a scrapbook page containing them altogether.

I apologize that the pictures aren't huge, but you can get the idea, yes?


D'awwwwwwwwwwwwww............ wasn't he adorable?

(and he totally looks like he's pouting in the 4th grade pic, but they were playing "Heads Up 7 Up".

So, the run down goes like this:

Kindergarten- no boxes, they did bags at school

1st Grade-Cookie Train- he wanted to make a Cookie Train. Totally his idea. I had no idea where he came up with that one, and yeah, I didn't ask. Kleenex Box & a small box covered in wrapping paper, TP roll covered in foil for the smoke stack, hearts on a wire for smoke, and cookies for the wheels (sorry you can barely see the wheels).

2nd Grade- Things I Love-That was a great year. No contest, no worries! woo! Simply a box covered and stickers (I had tons because I paper scrapbooked then) of things he loved.

3rd Grade- Rocket Ship- This was an idea from my often BPIC (Baking Partner in Crime), Lori. You know, the one behind  Holy Moses Dip & Strawberry Filled Cupcakes? Back then the Bean was way into Science. Now, he is a complete and totally History Nut. Wants to major in History & be a History Professor. Anyway...Lori suggested a Rocket, and nothing else would do after that. We used posterboard, a Styrofoam cone, & Card stock (plus stickers).

4th Grade- Covered Wagon- By 4th grade the History nerdiness had started to come out. So, a Covered Wagon was thought of. This was one of those little wooden crates that you can buy at a craft store or Wally World for like $2. Then craft foam for the cover, and big gold hoops from the craft section. Not sure what they are for, sorry- Macrame, maybe? Do people still macrame?? Some pipe cleaners made the spokes in the wheels.

5th Grade- POTTER TIME- Why we'd never done a Potter box before, the world may never know, but we did one, so that's all that matters, right? Harry was made from a Styrofoam Cone & Ball, plus yarn for hair, pipe cleaners for glasses, and to create arm shape under his cloak. Cloak was black fabric, his tie was just cardstock. The broom was a wooden pencil and raffia. His cauldron a mini pail found in the craft section.

6th Grade- Digital Camera- This was another ALL BEAN idea. The base is a Capri Sun box, lens is a plastic cup, with a lid from a Pringles can, milk cap for shutter release, and the cheese corner of a nacho tray for the flash (I'm sure you could think of something else for this- or leave it off altogether), he cut up an old belt for the strap.  I actually have a photo of the back side to this one. He wanted a small photo to show what you saw through the viewfinder & the same photo large, as the what you saw on the LCD screen.


After 6th grade something magical happened.. He started Junior High! You know what doesn't happen in Jr High? Valentine's Box Contests!

None in High School either!

Praise Heaven above!

I hope this ideas might be helpful to someone out there struggling like I used to (smiling now because I no longer have to!).

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment

www.sugarbeanbakers.com

...because life should be sweet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...